Effective therapy is essential for people who stutter. As a not for profit organisation we work hard to increase awareness of specialist therapy.
Our team of speech language therapists are available to provide a variety of advice and support to those working in general practice.
Professional Development for Speech Language Therapists
‘Working with School Aged Children Who Stutter: adding tools to your toolbox’
This one day workshop is a practical ‘hands on’ workshop for SLTs working with school aged children (5-8 years old) who stutter. The workshop is interactive with case studies, videos and role plays used to enhance learning.
By the end of this workshop, participants will have:
- a theoretical understanding of the available evidence for different treatment and approaches
- the knowledge to assess and provide treatment for this client group
- the opportunity to practice specific techniques/therapy approaches
- an understanding of how feelings and attitudes can impact children who stutter
- strategies to help children deal with teasing and bullying
We also can tailor workshops and seminars for Speech Language Therapists.
Supervision for Speech Language Therapists
START’s specialist Speech Language Therapists are able to provide specialist supervision of stuttering therapy.
Fluency Disorders Special Interest Group
START co-cordinates a Fluency Disorders Special Interest Group which meets four times year. This group is open to Speech Language Therapists and Speech Language Therapy students studying in New Zealand. Meetings run for 1.5-2 hours in various locations throughout Auckland and focus on networking, case discussion and professional development. Please contact Voon Pang on email@example.com if you are interested in being involved. Inclusion in the meetings via Skype may also be possible.